Thursday, August 2, 2007

Parenthood



Don't you just love this picture? Hudson is at playgroup walking through bubbles without a care in the world. It reminded me of how the Lord would like us to be in our lives - not worrying but casting our cares upon the Lord through prayer.
Today as I was having my time with the Lord, I read a chapter out of"Power of a Praying Parent" and it was about parenting without fear. I was gripped with fear when Hudson was first born, worrying about everything, as many new moms are. I still worry. I don't think that will ever completely go away (those of you with older kids probably are thinking "It only gets worse!" :)). You could drive yourself crazy worrying if you let it get ahold of you. But, it is so comforting to know that the Lord gave me this great gift and He loves Hudson so much more than even I do. I don't have to worry. God is in control, and ultimately, Hudson is HIS child. Having a relationship with the Lord frees me from worry.
Sarah, in 1 Sam. was granted a son. She continually offered Him to the Lord, and eventually took him to the temple to grow into a great servant of the Lord. Wow, now that is a sign of obedience!
"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him. Therefore I also have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the Lord" 1Sam. 1:27-29
Praise God that we are just God's servants as parents, raising our children with wisdom that comes from Him. We don't have to rely on our own wisdom. This way God can work freely, molding our children into the warriors for Christ that He intended! I pray that I am constantly reminded of that fact!

7 comments:

jamie b said...

I guess I'm a little emotional today because your post brought tears to my eyes. I remind myself of those same things a lot of times when I start to worry or when I start to wonder what Bryan's future will be like. I just have to stop and pray and thank our Father for his precious gift and for trusting US (oh my!) with his life here on earth. I know He is in control of his future and He has his days numbered. A lot of times I'll pray for a long, healthy life for Bryan and that he'll come to know Jesus at an early age and live his life for HIM. That's all we can do, right!? :)

Thank you for sharing what the Lord laid on your heart this morning. He spoke to me through you! :)

Suzanne said...

Thanks for sharing this, Steph! Worry is something that I struggle with and I've really had to learn to trust in His strength to free me from that. He is always faithful!

Anonymous said...

What a great lesson to always be reminded of. So precious of a little boy and I am amazed at how much he looks like you.

Anonymous said...

Wow - such a great reminder Stephanie. It is hard in the moment/s to remember that sometimes, as I struggle with fear as well. Fear in big things, small things, every day things, am I making the right decisions? and on and on and on....but you're right, how wonderful that we have a loving God to lay all our cares to! I can't imagine what a mess I'd be if I had to go it alone. Thanks for such a wonderful, much needed reminder today!

RandB said...

Thanks for this, Steph. After losing the baby last fall, it has been easier to worry about Greer being healthy this pregnancy. And the thought of anything ever happening to her or Gehrig is too much to bear. It's not for us to worry about, though, and I am thankful for your reminder. Hope we get to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

love that prayer. i swear, i know it's my mama's prayers that have kept me alive at certain points in my life and i am eternally grateful for them. God truly hears the total sincerity and immense love of a mother's prayer for her child. love this that you posted. :)

Bella Sera said...

Releasing the control is a hard thing for parents b/c you always want what YOU see as best. God sees with a different set of eyes. Frame the picture :)