Thursday, May 3, 2007

On the road again..

We are on the road again. Last week it was Rome, this weekend it is Atlanta to see my sister and her family. I have to say, traveling with a baby by yourself forces you to do some thinking, THANKING, and praying!

Thinking... How do single moms do this ALL the time? Between changing Hudson's diaper at Cracker Barrell (which is pretty interesting - never thought I would use the bathroom with a baby in my lap!) walking my dog Tucker with Hudson on my hip ( and having a sweet, probably 75/80 yr. old woman help me lift my 40 lb. dog into the back of the car) and trying to drive safely while reaching for a paci in the car seat in the back as I listen to a screaming baby ( i was careful mom, I promise) I give props to single mothers out there. I admire them and look at them with a whole new sense of respect!

THANKING... I am so thankful for my husband. Always getting in there to help - dirty diapers(with a little coersion), baths, feedings, or just being the distraction so that I can get out of the room without Hudson crying. On the occasional day that I have had enough, I will greet him at the door with a smile and a baby ready to hand over :) . Colin gives me a kiss, loves on Hudson and rolls on the floor playing with him, even though he is exhausted from the stress and hours of his job. He is such a good daddy. The Lord has truly blessed me. On road trips by myself, I realize how much better we are as a team, and how much I miss him!

Praying...to distract me from the occasional screaming baby :) It's a great time to pray for my friends, family and my sanity!

Really , it's not quite as bad as it sounds. Hudson is a pretty good little traveler. I do wonder, though, if he panics every time I put him in the car seat - wondering if it's going to be a 10 min. drive or a 3 hr. drive! Poor thing..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph, I must say, you are one brave mommy to tackle such travels with your baby! To be honest, I have never travelled that far with Anna Leigh all by myself! I'm glad Hudson is a good little traveller. :) I hope y'all have a safe trip and a wonderful visit with your sister!

SP said...

I love you! I must say, you sure are "paving the way" for what kind of mom I could be and teaching me so much!

Anonymous said...

Traveling alone is very hard! In fact, going to the grocery store with Cameron is hard. I don't even want to think about what it would be like with two! Maybe Claire will be much more easy going.

Stephanie said...

Shannon, don't get tips from me... I am only flying by the seat of my pants! You won't need any help it seems by the way you are with Hudson - he loves you! :)
Katie certainly was a pioneer for a lot of us. I am sure you will be awesome with two - you have already been through one - Claire will be a breeze, Katie! :)

Anonymous said...

i know, i know. i AM a pioneer of motherhood and all. what can i say? hehe. i kid. i know you are referring to ANOTHER katie. ;)
I, on the otherhand, am a freak of a mom who's very surprised that my son has not been removed from our home yet. hehe. oh, i kid.
well, you are very lucky. my child was not a good traveler at all as an infant. but i do know that when i played James Taylor for him it calmed him down and soothed him a bit. to this day, he loves when ole James Taylor comes on the radio.

Stephanie said...

Katie, James Taylor is a great idea... he always puts me in a calm mood! Thanks for the tip! :)